August 1 bike forecast: ride bike? Yeah

Tuesday, August 1st: new month, new bike forecast. Is it good? Is it bad? Let’s find out.

(It’s good, by the way.)

TUESDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:

unnamed.jpg

Overall: high 80, low 67, calm winds, mostly cloudy, 15% chance of rain, most likely around 1pm

AM: mid 70s, partly cloudy, calm winds, real nice but 10% chance of rain

PM: high 70s, mostly cloudy, 15% chance of rain


How pleasant is it?

That pleasant.


In recent bike news:

• Check out John Greenfield’s overview of Milwaukee Avenue improvements at Streetsblog Chicago

• The NYC Department of Transportation says cycling safety has improved thanks to a greater number of riders on the street. Other findings of interest to Chicagoans:

-“The vast majority of cyclist fatalities occur on streets without bicycle facilities.”

-“The launch of Citi Bike [i.e., bike share] coincided with a drop in cyclist KSI [killed or severely injured] within the bike share area.”

-“The overwhelming majority of cyclist fatalities and cyclist KSI occurred at intersections”

• On the LFT:

Seems awfully narrow. Hmmm.


Spotted on the road:P1340172.jpg

Escaped pet rabbit, caught and given to local shelter, where someone had apparently called about a lost rabbit. We assume the story had a happy ending, but we can’t say for sure.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING:Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

3.5/4. Excellent. Ride bike!

Advertisements

July 31 bike forecast: lookin’ OK

Monday: the first day of a new week full of new bike forecasts. What’s in store? Let’s find out.

[Ed. note: Earlier version of this post said August 1st. But that’s wrong, because there are 31 days in July.]

MONDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:

unnamed.jpg

Overall: high 84, low 68, partly cloudy, not too humid, winds all over the place but calm.

Kinda hot.

AM: mid 70s, calm, partly cloudy

PM: low 80s, partly cloudy, winds from the east at 7mph


How windy is it?

Not very windy, according to this new Lettuce Cat.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING:

Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

3.25/4. Good rideability, but a tad hottish. Enjoy!

June 28 bike forecast: a windswept Friday

More brisk winds from the north Friday.

FRIDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:

unnamed.jpg

Sunny, nice temp, etc etc. But look at that wind!

More explanation in the frivolous visualization below:

2560x1440-white-solid-color-background.jpg

No matter who you are, one half of your commute will be pleasant and one half unpleasant. Unless you’re going east or west. There.


How windy is it?

Almost that windy! (No planes were harmed in the making of this gif.)


DIVVY REPORT: In the Loop, Dearborn and Van Buren closed for maintenance.  Up-to-the-minute updates here.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING:

Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

2.8/4. Everything’s great, except for the wind. Enjoy!

July 27 bike forecast: good, except for the wind

(Oops! No bike forecast yesterday. Sorry. Life is busy.)

Thursday: looks all right… except for that PM wind. Oy.

unnamed.jpg

Overall: high 79, low 69, 20% chance of rain, 80% humidity

AM: high 70s, mostly cloudy, 15% chance of rain

PM: high 70s, partly cloudy, windy as heck from the north-northeast


How windy is it?

Okay, maybe not quite that windy. But 16mph is a lot, and if you’re commuting to the north in the evening, I’m sorry for your headwinds.

Our advice: consider avoiding the Lake Front Trail in the PM. Surface streets should be calmer, climatologically speaking.


DIVVY REPORT: RIP 29th and State. It’s official: station removed from the system. Other up-to-the-minute updates here.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


Spotted on the road…

P1340160.jpg

This is Ocean Parkway, Brooklyn, NY. The oldest bike path in the country, built in 1894. (More on this later, maybe.)


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING:

Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

2.75/4. All right!

July 25 bike forecast: no complaints

Tuesday looks all right.

TUESDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:

unnamed.jpg

Overall: high 80, low 67, winds from the southish around 10mph


DIVVY REPORT: State and 29th: still offline. Will it ever return? Up-to-the-minute updates here.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


Spotted in Rogers Park:P1340123.jpg

Note the mural. Rogers Park residents like using participatory budget money for murals, so just about every underpass in the 48th (sorry Joe Moore) 49th Ward has a mural. Cool.


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING:

Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

3.5/4. Not much to complain about. Enjoy!

July 24 bike forecast: cool & windy

New week, new weather.

MONDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:

unnamed.jpg

There you have it. Looks like it’ll be 10-15 degrees cooler than this weekend, which puts us close to ideal bike commuting temperature.

Overall: high 72, low 64, 20% chance of rain, fairly windy from the north-ish

AM: high 60s, partly cloudy, 15% chance of rain, wind from the north at 14mph

PM: low 70s, sunny, wind from the north at 13mph

Oh, also: river flood warnings for the Des Plaines River out near Riverside. Any Riverside readers? No? Ok.


REPRESENTATION OF EXPECTED WINDINESS:

Courtesy of Lettuce Cat. See how the lettuce is blown off the cat’s head? That’s an indication of gusty winds.


DIVVY REPORT: State and 29th: still offline. Will it ever return? Up-to-the-minute updates here.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


And, spotted on the road:P1340135.jpg

Dunno what it says, but seems rude. Loyola Park.


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING:

Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

3.25/4. Good. Enjoy!

July 21 bike forecast: fine

Friday: looks all right. But really: who knows? How accurate is contemporary meteorological science? Not very!

FRIDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:

unnamed.jpg

Overall: high 84, low 74, 20% chance of rain, light winds from the east-ish, 70% humidity

AM: mid 70s, cloudy, possibly rainy, light winds from the east-southeast

PM: low 80s, partly cloudy, wind from the east-southeast at 8mph


DIVVY REPORT: What’s with State St. and 29th? Still offline. Up-to-the-minute updates here.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


Spotted on the road…

P1340115.jpg

Blobby mortar, Lincoln Park.


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING: Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

2.75/4. Eh, not bad.

July 20 bike forecast: worse than it looks

Take a look at the Thursday weather infographic.

THURSDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:unnamed.jpg

Not great. But closer and it’s worse! Much worse.

Overall: high 89, low 71, scattered thunderstorms, moderate winds, and humid as heck.

Temperature will hit the high 80s in the afternoon before abruptly cooling down at 3pm, they say. With the humidity, that gives us a heat index of 97 degrees around 2pm. (Take all this with grain of salt.)

AM: high 70s, scattered thunderstorms, wind from the southwest at 12mph, humid

PM: 80ish, chance of rain, wind from the northeast at 11mph.


DIVVY REPORT: State St. and 29th still offline. Up-to-the-minute updates here.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


Spotted on the road…

P1340096.jpg

Smiling bay window, Evanston.


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING:

Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

1.6/4. Pretty bad!

July 19 bike forecast: supposed to be terrible, but it’s not

By this time yesterday it seemed like Wednesday would be 85 degrees with 100% humidity and thunderstorms. But lo, a new meteorological consensus has emerged.

WEDNESDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:

unnamed.jpg

Overall: hi 81, lo 71, partly cloudy, a bit of wind from the northish, and 25% chance of rain. Kind of humid, too.

AM: high 70s, partly cloudy, 25% chance of rain

PM: high 70s, only slightly cloudy, wind from the northeast at 8mph.


LETTUCE CAT PREDICTION OF WINDINESS:

Just the barest breeze. Quite pleasant.


DIVVY REPORT: State St. and 29th still offline. Up-to-the-minute updates here.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


Spotted on the road…

P1340111.jpg

Andersonville water tower construction.


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING: 

Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

3/4. Marked down only because of 25% chance of rain. Enjoy!

July 18 bike forecast: warmer, still pleasant

Tuesday: a quality day like Monday. Less windy, more heat, even more sun.

Enjoy it while you can, because the rest of the week is supposed to be rainy and sweltering.

TUESDAY WEATHER INFOGRAPHIC:

unnamed.jpg

Overall: high 82, low 71, sunny with light winds from the southeast

AM: 70º, no wind to speak of, with just the barest wisp of a cloud

PM: 80-ish, sunny, wind from the southeast at 9mph.


So sunny! Consider wearing a hat, like this:

Bald people especially:

P10707151-250x343.jpg


DIVVY REPORT: State St. and 29th offline. Up-to-the-minute updates here.


STREET CLOSURES

and

PARTIAL STREET CLOSURES


Spotted on the road…

IMG_3119 copy.jpg

Riding a bike while carrying a bike, Rogers Park.


OVERALL COMMUTE RATING:

Flag_of_Chicago__Illinois_svg.png

3.3/4. Excellent, if a little warm. Ride bike!